"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."
Psalm 127:3-5

Monday, November 12, 2012

Washington’s Mt. Vernon


001
"No estate in United America is more pleasantly situated than this."
- George Washington

016


003
Peeping into the slave quarters.  They were much nicer than those displayed in our area.

006
When I first saw the house, I was surprised by how small it looked compared to what I was expecting.  We enjoyed the tour and seeing many pieces of original furniture.

010
The view from the house is magnificent.  It sits on a hill overlooking the Potomac River and rolling wooded hills.

024
Behind this handsome man are some longhorns lost in the shadows.

026

028
The color was beautiful!

030
Amen.

032
The museum was quite interesting and informative.  Our family has enjoyed reading about and studying the life of Washington.  God certainly worked mightily in him in the midst of seemingly hopeless situations.

037
The sword Washington carried during the Battle of Monongahela.

039
Commander in Chief at Valley Forge.

044
Enjoying a farewell of color before we head to some friends house.
“Remember that God is our only sure trust.  To Him, I commend you … My son, neglect not the duty of secret prayer”
~ the parting words of Washington’s mother
“But by the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectations; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, although death was leveling my companions on every side of me!”
~ George Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment