"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."
Psalm 127:3-5

Saturday, July 16, 2011

In the Air!


For the past two years, we have been going to music camp at Bob Jones University and have really loved it. We really like the strong Christian atmosphere at BJU and have had wonderful teachers. This year we decided to try something a little different; aviation camp.

So why aviation you may ask. Well, I(Emilee) have always thought it would be neat to actually fly a plane. We have been very blessed to have been able to fly a lot commercially so I have been exposed to flight since a very young age. I love air shows as well, especially if the Thunderbirds or the Blue Angels are there! I think that aviation is an interest that God has placed within me. So do I want to be a pilot? Well, not necessarily. I believe that first and foremost, God has called me as a young lady through his Word to be a keeper at home and to serve my father until The Lord gives me my own husband and family to serve. Maybe along the way it might be in God's plan for me to become a pilot in order to serve my father or husband, I just don't know what God has in store. It may just be though that God gave me this interest in order for me to more fully appreciate his creation and bring glory to his name. All this said, I really enjoyed aviation camp and have even a deeper interest than before.

I(Kyle) have enjoyed flying since I was really young as well and always thought that it would be neat to actually fly a plane. I enjoyed taking off and landing and the actual flying with the stick. I also enjoyed being able to use the different controls on our short cross country flight. We flew over some beautiful lakes.


These are our fellow aviators.
Kyle and I are third and fourth from the left.


The first plane I(Emilee) ever flew. It is a Diamond-20.


Inside the Diamond-20 with a flight instructor.
He let me do a lot!!


I love the bird's eye view!



The other half of the class waiting their turn.



Bob Jones University from the air.

Flight controls in the Diamond-20.
It's not that complicated once you know what does what.


A very cute biplane that we saw just about everyday!


The Cessna 1-72. It was the oldest plane that we flew.



The 1-40 which is a four seater.


This wheel looked a little out of place:)



A little blurry but I thought this looked pretty neat!


A beautiful lake on the South Carolina/Georgia border.


The Anderson airport which was our destination on the cross country flight.



Clear the runway!!


This was our where we spent many hours learning aerodynamics,
airplane mechanics, navigation and all that good stuff!



Kyle preparing for his trip.


The Greenville control tower. We were able to take a tour which was really interesting.


Everyone got to make an aluminum plane which was a challenge and lots of fun!



Freshly painted.



We learned a lot about plane engines.


We started the engine and felt the breeze!! It could hold us up with no problem!


A really nice sport plane.


While Kyle and I were in Aviation camp, Davis and Clara were in Junior Music camp.
Davis was second chair in the viola section(pictured here) and Clara was fifth chair in the first violins. It was amazing what a group of 9-13 year olds could learn and perform in 5 days!



Philip really enjoyed the concert!

"Thy mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O Lord, thou preservest man and beast. How excellent is thy loving-kindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings."


Psalm 36:5-7

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so cool! I'd be kind of afraid to fly a plane, though. You're a lot braver than I am! :D

    ReplyDelete